Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Hey Hey Hey Hey

I'm not much into just miscellaneous, stream-of-consciousness posting. So I let it all go, and next thing you know my blog archives have dates like 2003 and 2004 on them, long ago in the past and nobody cares about them.

I heard the other day that with the copper shortage, and we're running out of other elements, rare earth types of elements, that someday we might be "mining" old landfills, picking through old computers and monitors, whatever junk there is with at least a trace of these elements. I can see me with my prospector's pan, standing at the dump, sifting old Del Monte cans and assorted what-not, looking for precious materials.

That's a case of the old being shut away, buried, covered up, but someday the past might be our key to the future. Maybe we need to build a big cellar where we put future landfills, with a really big cellar door over the whole thing, and a really big staircase leading down to the cellar, and just have our junk on big shelves down there. We could check it in, when the dumptruck shows up. Things like carrot shavings and turkey bones -- we'll probably never need those -- put these in one section. Then things that are hard and durable, like old computers, car batteries, etc., put on the big shelves.

But no one wants old blog posts. I check around various blogs and I see the archives from 2003 and I'm impressed that they go back that far, but really, who's opening them to read what they said then? The only way you would is if you were searching for something and it popped up on Google. Like a review of Roxette's "Look Sharp!" album. But just to get someone's take on the issues of the day -- probably not.

Like this particular post -- probably not.

No comments: