Saturday, February 23, 2008

Queen of the Roller Derby

I've been trying to think of a cool name for a roller derby lady. This was a challenge to me today while at Walmart. The phone rings, and 'Can you think of a good name for a friend who skates in the roller derby?' It needs to be sort of funny, tie in with a personality idea, be snappy, etc.

The only word I could think of was Violence. But there's nothing too funny about that. Since then I've thought of some that aren't very great. Hell On Wheels was one that has to be over-thought-of. I had a Greek word I saw in some reading and it was about the same as INXS, which I sketched out as Enexes. Whatever it means, it sounds mildly menacing. But there's nothing obvious about it as funny or roller skating. Cross that, it doesn't have to have anything to do with roller skating.

It seems like the best way is to start with a phrase, then misspell the words in some way, such as, Apocalypse, "I'll-Kick-Your-Lips." Not so good. Maybe for 'menacing,' The Menace wouldn't be bad, but how to make it funny? It's harder than it sounds.

No comments: